- 1 The never-ending popularity of Java
- 2 What salary can a Java Developer get in Poland?
- 3 Final thoughts
Let’s face it: there have been voices saying that Java is dying a slow death. Wait, is it really? Quite the opposite – it’s been holding up pretty well, and it’s definitely not going anywhere. So, here come two questions. First, why does Java still remain so popular? And second, how much can Java Developers earn? Read on to get the answers and learn more about the salaries you can expect depending on your work experience, form of employment, and place of work!
The never-ending popularity of Java
Before we jump to the core of this article, let’s brush up on what Java is and why it’s been so popular among programmers.
What is Java, and what is it used for?
Despite being nearly 30 years old, Java is still going strong. In fact, according to the TIOBE index, it’s one of the most popular programming languages ever created. Since its launch in 1995 by Sun Microsystems, Java has gained incredible popularity and managed to hold its position among the top programming languages in the world.
What makes it so special?
Unlike any other programming language, Java is a jack of all trades – it’s flexible, reliable, and secure. It’s an open-source, object-oriented language and software platform running on more than 13 billion devices. By enforcing the concept of WORA (write once, run anywhere), Java reduces programming dependencies. Therefore, as long as your computer has JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed on it, you can easily run any Java program.
Java finds use in web-based apps, video games, the Internet of Things (IoT), and big data projects, followed by both desktop and mobile applications.
Since it has been around for so long, a lot of tech and non-tech giants like Google, Amazon, Netflix, and Spotify are built using this language. It’s worth mentioning that Java Developers are also very much appreciated by banks, retailers, and various insurance companies.
Does Java still matter?
Of course! You might have heard voices that Java is at death’s doorstep, but it is far from dead. Even though it has lost some of its market shares to competitors like Python and JS, it hasn’t suddenly become obsolete. Java is up to speed and ready for the upcoming future. To be fair, with so many new and improved software development tools entering the market, Java’s longevity is quite impressive.
As for the job market for Java Developers, it’s still hot. And it’s not only about the number of job postings offered, but also the salary that Java Developers can get. Check out the latest Java offers here.
What salary can a Java Developer get in Poland?
Now that we’ve covered all the essential info about Java and answered the question of whether it’s still relevant, let’s move on to talk numbers! In this section of the article, we’ll take a closer look at the average salary of specialists using Java in 2022.
To give you a bigger picture of the situation, we’ll also compare the final quarter of 2022 to the last quarter of 2021 and check the average salary of a Java Developer at the beginning of 2023. While analyzing the numbers, we’ll consider factors like experience, type of contract, and location.
All the data below comes from our annual report: Tech Market Snapshot and our Salary Calculator. So, if you’d like to learn even more, check them out!
However, before we move on to the details, it’s important to clarify one thing – a particular salary given below reflects both the gross income amount that Java specialists get when working on a B2B contract and the net income amount in the case of an employment contract, unless stated otherwise.
Junior Java Developer salary
Let’s start with those who don’t have much work experience in the field of Java development yet.
The average earnings of junior developers differ depending on the type of contract and the location they’re working in. So, let’s take a peek at the major Polish cities and how much Junior Java Developers could earn there in 2022:
- In Warsaw, junior specialists could expect on average USD 2200.
- Cracow and Poznań were dominating over other cities, offering an average of USD 2500.
- In Wrocław, it was around USD 2300.
- Tricity, on the other hand, offered USD 2400.
When we analyze current job ads that appeared at the beginning of 2023, Junior Java Developers can expect:
- Around USD 1400 gross with an employment contract and USD 2200 net with B2B in Warsaw.
- USD 1600 gross with a permanent contract and USD 1900 net with a B2B contract in Cracow, Wrocław, and Poznań.
Mid Java Developer salary
When it comes to specialists with more experience, we can clearly see the difference in their average salaries – they are considerably higher.
- In Warsaw, for example, Mid Java Developers could count on around USD 5000.
- Wrocław, Cracow, and Trincity offered USD 4800.
- In Poznań, it was USD 4400.
Thus, apart from Poznań where mid specialists could get around USD 4400, the rest of the cities offered better salaries, reaching almost USD 5000.
As for 2023, it started with companies willing to pay on average:
- USD 3200 gross with a contract of employment and USD 4100 net with B2B cooperation in Warsaw and Poznań.
- USD 3000 gross in the case of an employment contract/USD 4000 net with a B2B agreement in Cracow.
- USD 3000 gross with an employment contract/USD 3800 net with B2B cooperation in Wrocław.
Senior Java Developer salary
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that this group of Java Developers is able to catch the best job offers in the market. After all, they’re experts with many years of experience. So, what sum of money are we talking about here?
- Warsaw came with offers reaching on average USD 6500.
- In Cracow, it was a bit less, USD 6400.
- In Wrocław, Poznań, and Trincity, it was around USD 6100.
What’s easy to observe here is that in 2022 Warsaw and Cracow were clearly leading the way in offering the highest average salary, around USD 6500, whereas, in other locations, the amount of money reached around USD 6000.
With the start of 2023,
- In Warsaw, senior developers can get USD 4400 gross in the case of an employment contract/ USD 5400 net with a B2B contract.
- In Cracow, in the case of an employment contract, it is the same as in Warsaw and with a B2B contract it is USD 5200 net.
- In Poznań, it is USD 4600 gross/USD 5400 net with a B2B contract.
- In Wrocław, it is USD 4500 gross/USD 5300 net with a B2B contract.
A percentage change in salaries in Q4 2022 vs. Q4 2021
Comparing the final quarter of 2022 to the last quarter of 2021, the average salary of Java Developers increased by 11,7%. At the end of 2021, specialists working with Java could earn around USD 5084; in Q4 2022, that amount jumped to USD 5677.
Despite having its ups and downs over the years, Java is still in good shape. With more than 13 billion devices running on this language, Java Developers will continue to be in demand. After all, somebody will still have to maintain all these apps.
If you’re currently looking for a reliable partner who will support you in your search for top-class software engineers – feel free to contact us. At inhire, we will provide you with the best European candidates ready to get involved in your process. Let’s talk.